Homepage

The society forum

Best age/weight for slaughter?

08/04/2015 - 8:10
Tony
penrhoss@btinternet.com
Cornwall

Have been keeping pigs for a few years now with good results and excellent meat. Have just acquired two Lop boars and have been told they can possibly go to nine months before sending for slaughter. Any advice gratefully received.

Replies to post

18/04/2015 - 21:58
Giles Eustice
gileseustice@trevaskisfarm.co.uk
Cornwall

Hi Tony,

The British Lop will finish quickly in the right conditions. I would advise ad lib feed or similar, typically they are best finished at 60-65kg dead weight - this should take between 18-22 weeks dependant on your feed product.
If you keep longer and push over 65kg you will get a little more fat ratio which is often fine for home/local network consumption but not for the retail counter.
I hope this helps.

All the best,
Giles

19/04/2015 - 9:19
Joff Williams
joffwilliams@aol.com
Lincolnshire

Hi Tony.

Been keeping lops for about 3 years now; slaughtered about 40.  Generally send them to the nice man at the abattoir at 6 1/2 to 7 months as they tend to start laying on fat after that.  Slaughter weight generally about 60kg or slightly less.

Good luck!

Joff

30/07/2015 - 20:57
Tony
penrhoss@btinternet.com
Cornwall

Giles/Joff,

A bit belated I know but many thanks for your welcome advice on suitable weight/time for Lops to go to slaughter. I had picked up the weaners a bit older than normal so took them to 30weeks and they came out very well, hanging weight about 50/55 kg with no more than normal fat….so thank you for your very useful advice. Am now looking at getting my next Lop weaners, a bit younger though so I have full control over their management to slaughter…..quality pork!